Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Friends


Friends, Friends, Friends
It's nice to have great friends in one's life. This morning Jacqueline and several other close friends prepared a wonderful birthday breakfast for me. There was smoked salmon, capers, and delicious bagels next to fresh eggs, savory bacon, and chilled champagne there to help wash down all the flavors.

Each friend handed me a card with a beautiful note written inside. Expressing how they've appreciated my friendship, my passion for life, my love of music, and my often ridiculous humor. I hate to boast, but life is good. My friend Rafael gave me two books from Chile that he read when he was a nino. Jacqueline gave me some Simpson slippers and some warm ones, too. Plus a really fancy vino. Everything was more than I needed or could have asked for, but I'm very thankful for life.

For the joys one can experience and the friendship one can have when one decides to open one's heart and form a connection with those around him/her. I believe that is what has, and is helping, to make my time in Edinburgh so special. I have a unique ability to form close connections with all sorts of people from all walks of life. I know that one day, when I'm old and grey, I will sit and admire these relationships; the privileges that shape our existence. We do not know what tomorrow brings so let us enjoy the days while it is hear.

Eat a new food, sip a delicious beer, kiss a pretty lady (or man if you choose), listen (and I mean allow it to truly move you) to new music, challenge yourself....this world is ours for the taking, so I insist that we make a move or our journey may soon be over. Enjoy these days, friends, and prepare for the day where we can share a "spritely dance [...] amongst the clouds."

My wish for my birthday is that you all takes time to enjoy your lives to the utmost. Scream, cry, laugh, and dance.

I will close with a quote that I heard many years ago, but its relevance seems to never die:

"Our lives are like a coin,
and though we many spend them however we choose.
We may only spend them once,
so [brothers and sisters, friends and foes]
so let us spend them wisely."
-A.N.S.


1 comment: