Saturday, October 20, 2012

The Sitdown

My teaching assignments are going well. I'm quite enjoying getting out of the office and into the learning.  Jacqui and I both hope to be in the classroom next year. I enjoy teaching across the year levels.  Interacting with people from a range of ages and backgrounds helps the teacher to further develop a range of perspectives.

  After I received my BA, I lived at home while saving money for graduate school. During the days, I'd give my time teaching mature students basic literacy and writing skills. It had a profound impact on me.  I helped to open my students' minds to the power of a sentence, and subject verb agreement.  They needed English to take the General Education Diploma (GED). For many different reasons, they had never finished high school, and so this was their opportunity to move forward; it was their key to a better life.

It really made me think.  There I was, 10-15 years younger than most of the students, with a BA and on my way to my MSc.  While my students, were trying to get a entry qualification to start their lives.  I learned two things from this experience. 1, I have a way with words. 2, I have a deep understanding that knowing English helps to change one's life.   I want to further engage in helping people, of all ages and backgrounds, understand English through a range of sources.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment