Monday, September 21, 2009

Life is Beautiful.

I can't help but to boast. I am going to have an incredible year. I have been hear 1 week, and already my experience has been memorable.

Last week, some international students and I stumbled into an all night Jazz bar. It was awesome. A funky jazz band that moved the crowd with their beats. Towards the end of the night, a man from South Africa came and began to rip the saxophone. You could feel the passion as he hit each note. Especially, while he battled the guitarist who offered his own beautiful riffs.

Instantly, I was hooked to this city. I cannot believe the experience I have been given. Thank you, mom and dad, for always challenging me. For pushing me, and for allowing me to spread my wings. Thank you, Judge Bailey, because of your determination, I am in Edinburgh. Thank you, Reinhardt Profs., for believing and helping me to believe. Rob, I couldn't ask for a better brother. We have so much to experience together, I look forward to the journey. Emily, I love you. I wish the best for you, and that you and Matthew's days are filled with many blessings.

I hold all of you, plus family and friends, close to my heart. I thank you for the time, the laughs, the arguments, and the memories. You have all helped to make my life beautiful.

This past weekend, I went flying. I joined University of Edinburgh's flying program, and I must say it was one of the best experiences I have ever had. Flying a plane without an engine. You strap into a cockpit, wearing a parachute, and a pulley system throws your glider 1,200 feet in the air. Then, the pilot disengages and your are one with the sky. As we sailed, the sun became rather friendly and began to illuminate the area. The lake below shone a beautiful blue, and the green grass hugging the hillside made me sit and smile. I flew for 45 mins and it was so incredible. I can't wait to do it many, many times. In 40 flights, I can fly solo. How incredible that would be, to get my masters and be a glider pilot all at the same time. Life is beautiful.

Tonight, I went to The Royal Oak. The Oak, is an old pub that is known for folk music. A great girl named, Jess, told me about the place. A group of us ended up going, and the night was spectacular. Whoever wants to play, can. I sat and watched all sorts of people just play their souls. People coming and going, while taking turns jamming. Interestingly enough, the great saxophonist joined the event, and we had a great chat. We started to talk music, life, people, and how incredible we can be if we just accept it. LIfe is a beautiful thing, and we can make the most of the experience, if we choose, or we can let it pass us by. The time at the Royal Oak has pushed to me to keep experiencing. I'm gonna go find a cheap guitar tomorrow just so I can play around. Because I know that if I play with a mix of people only one thing can happen, i'll get better. The final person I spoke to was an old Scottish man, who played a little bit of everything. I told him about my experiences thus far, and how i've just stumbled into incredible music. Since I arrived in Edinburgh, great music has basically been slapping me in the face. And
he said quite inspiringly: you may as well embrace it, we only live once.

I am going to grow in so many ways this year. Thank you, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Will, awesome blog, you write so well! Im glad you are having an incredible time so far, only more great times ahead. Hey, post some pics!
    Been seeing a lot of your brother since he moved to the ATL. :) Jim and Rob are jobless, which spells TROUBLE in my book.
    I'll check back often... Take care...
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. lucky, lucky, lucky...but well deserved....i'm definitely visiting now!

    ReplyDelete